Friday 1 January 2016

New Year

Today, New Year's Day, I'm feeling pretty exhausted, probably like most of the country. But, unlike most of the country, it isn't because I was out partying last night or celebrating New Years. For starters Gary, hubby, and I have never really celebrated the New Year, neither of us drink and neither of us see the point really of celebrating the change of the year when it's just another minute or second. I do sometimes feel the change of the year creates a boundary and a time for reflection, but I don't think this means you need to wait for the year start to make changes. In some ways people use it as an excuse. Anyway the reason I'm tired is because I need to get up at 3am to go to work. I got woken by the fireworks at 12 so got broken sleep and then the early start. What a lot of people don't realise is, just because the shop opens at 9 doesn't mean that the staff do. We needed to get there this morning to change over all the prices ready for the customers first thing. So off to work I went as most people were just climbing into their beds. After this I got home and went out for our ParkRun experience. A lot of people would tell us that we're crazy doing ParkRun especially on New Years Day and we also did it Christmas day and Boxing day, but I'd say to those people that they need to go along and experience it. 

ParkRun isn't a race or a competition, it's a wonderful community where you're surrounded by supportive, encouraging and friendly people. It's a 5KM run that happens in lots of locations across the country, every Saturday at 9am and is completely free. Our local one just happens to be Eastbourne and happens around Shinewater park and along the cuckoo trail. We love going along and pushing ourselves, and helping others too. Quite often at the finish line you are told that you've inspired someone or helped them get a new PB but also quite often you need to thank someone else for doing the same. The only person you are racing is yourself, trying to beat your times and improve constantly. Whatever you're ability you are welcomed and encouraged. Eastbourne is great because there's always a tail runner, so you aren't alone, and there is a whole variety of abilities in the group. When we first started parkruns, back in 2013, my time was 43mins. Since going regularly and training, losing weight and getting out there, I have improved my time to 27minutes. Today I achieved another 5Km PB and feel like I can push harder to get more. At this time of year there are quite often extra park runs and so, as I mentioned, there was one on Christmas day and New Years day. Tomorrow being a Saturday we will run again. 

I can't encourage you enough to go along to ParkRun and if you're ever at Eastbourne then come and say hi. We are the couple with the smiling child in the buggy, because, of course, our daughter has to come along too. 

Now I intend to have a sit down but I have some cakes to make for the local coffee shop. Because, yet again, people don't realise that because they have ordered the cake for the 2nd this means I'm going to spend the whole of the 1st making them. People like me don't get holidays or weekends.. 1st job of the new year for my business, think about putting the prices up!! 

I hope you're having a restful day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment